Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Needle Notions: What Kind of Knitting Needle is Best for You?

Ahhh knitting needles.  We need them.  We love them.  We buy them.  Sometimes, we're lucky enough to be given knitting needles for free (my favorite price!).  Unfortunately, to many new knitters and non-knitters, a knitting needle is a knitting needle is a knitting needle.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

Rather than discuss the convenient uses of the different angle of points on needles or double pointed needles vs. circular needles, I want to take a moment to discuss the three main materials that needles are made of.  I can't tell you specifically what is best for you, but I can give you my thoughts on some of the pros and cons of each to help you consider what you would most like to work with.

Plastic Needles



Pros:

  • Usually the least expensive of the three options
  • Flexible
  • Stitches slide easily on the needle as long as you don't knit too tightly
Cons:
  • Because they are thin plastic, they are the easiest to break.
  • If you knit too tightly, the stitches won't slide well on the needle.
  • If you knit too loosely, the stitches may slide too easily (which will make it easier to drop stitches).


Metal Needles



Pros: 

  • Very sturdy and difficult to snap
  • Your hands warm them up as you work (an added winter knitting bonus!)
  • Usually priced in the middle of the range
Cons:
  • Click audibly as you work
  • Can be quite cold to the touch when you first start working with them
  • Relatively inflexible

Wooden/Bamboo Needles


Pros:
  • Flexible
  • Stitches slide easily on the needle as long as you don't knit too tightly.
  • Come in an assortment of beautiful woods and colors
Cons:
  • Usually the most expensive of the three types.
  • Stitches don't slide easily if you knit too tightly.
  • Tend to have more rounded points which may interfere with certain yarns or stitches

My Preference

I am all about the metal needles.  I love that they are long lasting!  I have a horrible habit of sitting on or stepping on my needles which results in broken plastic needles every time.  And, if I don't step on them, my 74 lb. dog does.  As a person with constantly frozen hands, it is a huge benefit that they warm up the more they are worked with.  Many knitters dislike the clicking sound they make, but I love it.  It reminds me of the sound of my mother knitting when I was growing up which gives me a more meaningful knitting experience.  I have also found that the pointier tips help me to work my lace projects, ladder yarns, and eyelash yarns more easily.  

Let's Chat!

What do you think?  Have you found the same pros and cons of the types in your knitting? Which kind of needle do you prefer to work with? Why do you prefer this type to the others?

No comments:

Post a Comment